You've probably heard these words often if you're in spirituality or paganism at all. But if you're new to the concept, this is the number one most important thing you can do for yourself spiritually, and is especially important if you are intuitive or empathic.
So many people today are ungrounded and most people have never been taught to shield their energy. If you're ungrounded you are coming from a constant place of fight or flight, even if you aren't feeling anxious currently. If you are ungrounded you are coming from a place of fear, worry, anxiety, but also anger, grief, or simply frustration. You're up in your head, your thoughts are racing, you can't come from the heart and you can't sink into the earth.
Simple grounding techniques.
1. Change the way you stand - you can change the way your energy flows as simply as changing the way you carry yourself. Stand with your feet shoulder width apart. You'll probably notice that your knees are locked. If you put a slight bend in your knees and tuck your pelvis you should notice an immediate sinking of the energy in your body and feel more centered and clear headed than before.
2. Take deep cleansing breaths - most people breathe with their chests and not with their stomachs. It may sound odd but you're probably breathing wrong. Lay on the floor on your back and put one hand on your belly button and one hand on your chest. If you notice the hand on your chest rising then you are chest breathing. This does not allow you to get the maximum amount of oxygen into your system and keeps your body on red alert. Belly breathing allows you to expand your diaphragm fully. It's used in Yoga and by trained singers to fully oxygenate the body. This also forces your energy to center within your body and move down into your abdomen. If you close your eyes and take 3 slow deep belly breaths (where the hand on your stomach moves up and not the one on your chest) you'll be able to think far clearer.
3. Meditation - envision you are a tree. In the center of your being is your center point. For me I see it as a glowing seed at the base of my sternum. Others see it at their belly button, or their heart, etc. See that seed sprout a tap root and wind slowly down your body and into the earth below you. Growing, thickening and spreading until it sinks deep into the center of the earth and you reach the hot energy rich magma. See that energy being absorbed up your roots and into your body, filling you. Return back to the seed, see a stem emerge and travel up your body, out the top of your head and into the sky then out of the atmosphere into the universe. That stem growing to become a strong sturdy trunk of a tree with branches reaching out towards the stars. Leaves, flowers, and fruit emerge and you can feel your self absorbing the energy of the universe in through your leaves and into your body. Sit like this until you feel yourself fully connected to earth and sky and feel fulfilled, content, and whole. When you're ready see your branches and roots retract but know you're connected that way always.
4. Essential Oils - can either be put into a diffuser (if you have pets make sure they're pet safe), worn in special jewelry, or upon the body (using a carrier oil). You can use just one or mix the ones you like. This is not an exhaustive list just some examples there are a ton of resources. Frankincense, Myrrh, Amber, Cedar, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Vertivert.
5. Stones - can be worn in your pocket, in a bracelet, in a necklace, in your bra, gridded in your room, in a pretty bowl on your desk, really anywhere. You can use just one or use multiple if you feel drawn to. This is not an exhaustive list just some examples. There are a ton of resources. Garnet, Ruby, Black Tourmaline, Obsidian, Hematite.
If your an empath or intuitive and are unshielded you will probably feel the emotions, thoughts, and feelings of everyone around you either flowing through you like a sieve or collecting in you like you're a magnet and pooling within you. You probably feel overwhelmed, lost, confused, anxious, lost, and like you're drowning in emotion and don't know why. I know some that when they're in a crowded place full of positive energy like a mall or carnival they say they never feel more alive. It's important to be shielded so that you know you are only dealing with what is yours and aren't taking on the lessons of others.
Simple Shielding Visualization
1. Envision a bubble around you and fuel it with the energy from your grounding meditation. (It's important to have a source for your shield or you may feel drained from keeping it up constantly.) Now you get to decide what type of shield you have. Is it a mirror that bounces things back at those that send it to you, is it a stone wall that nothing can climb over or dig beneath, is it an impenetrable force field, what does it mean to you to be shielded. This works best if what your shield looks like and acts like makes sense to you.
2. Define your shield. What does it do? Does it stop everything from getting through, or just negative things that don't serve you? What happens to the energy once it hits your shield? It's important that this comes from you and from your heart because its something that you are going to have to perpetuate and if it makes sense to you it's way easier to fuel it and keep it up if you understand it to the point of not having to think about it.
Example - My shield is a semi-permeable bubble filled with a blue goo. Anything that enters by bubble gets absorbed by it and changed by the goo into what I most need in that moment to learn, grow, and thrive.